ss_blog_claim=cd46ef178142ba5c793d6628c487d5ef The Stuff I Think: A Not-So-Happy Anniversary

Saturday, January 05, 2008

A Not-So-Happy Anniversary

Today is January 5th. It was today, 18 years ago, that my family, as well as the world, lost the most fabulous daughter, sister, wife, and mother ever. My mother passed away 18 years ago today, in 1990, after a short battle with cancer. I was only 10 years old at the time and my sister was just 6. I don't have a lot of memories of my mom, which is the saddest part about the day, but I do remember that she was a devoted mom. Nothing and nobody came above my sister and me in her eyes. We had homemade birthday cakes with interesting party themes. She was a room mother for my class at school every year, going above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that my elementary years were as memorable as possible. Unfortunately, as far as memories are concerned, the happiness she caused was overshadowed by the painful memory of her loss. I guess that's how it works. All I know is, I pray every day and strive to be half the mother to my little girl that she was to me!

No comments: