ss_blog_claim=cd46ef178142ba5c793d6628c487d5ef The Stuff I Think: I Don't Get It

Saturday, July 28, 2007

I Don't Get It

I was reading an article on Yahoo about the punishments given to parents who accidentally leave their children to die in hot cars. I just don't understand. How can a sane parent get so distracted that they forget that their child is in the backseat of their car??? That makes no sense to me. I'm probably one of the most forgetful people in the world and, yet, when I get out of a car, I never space out so far that my daughter slips my mind. Even IF (and that's a big IF) I forgot to get her out of the car, would it not occur to me that my house was oddly quiet before she had time to die in the car??? I'm not sure I can show any sympathy to these parents. I'd better get my flame-retardant suit on, but I'm not sure that a parent who loves their kids can just "forget" to get them out of the car. I mean, I'm not "mother-of-the-year" material, but there are very few moments of my life when my daughter isn't the foremost thing on my brain and to think of "accidentally" forgetting about her and leaving her in a sweltering hot car for 7 hours or longer to die is just insane!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I agree with you, I find it hard to believe that anyone could "accidentally" forget their own children in a car or anywhere else for that matter.

feijardis said...

I guess many things in life are hard for us to understand but yet it happened! I believe that those parents who did forget,have to face their mistake, forgetfulness, foolishness for the rest of their lives. Giving them a bit of empathy will help them to heal from the greatest pain of all! Thanks!