ss_blog_claim=cd46ef178142ba5c793d6628c487d5ef The Stuff I Think: Word Of The Day

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Word Of The Day

I like to learn a new word everyday, preferrably as it applies to my life (meaning that I read or hear a word that I don't understand so I make it my business to become knowledgeable). Today's word is hydroponics, which is defined as "a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions, in water, without soil" (per Wikipedia). I was unfamiliar with this, so, as you can see, I looked it up. It seems like a very interesting concept. It means, essentially, that vegetation can thrive without using soil as a nutrient reservoir. Using nutrient solutions without soil also causes the plant to grow faster and yield greater results, not to mention the fact that, by using less water than soil-grown plants, it's better for the environment as well. This is definitely something to look into further!

No comments: